Saturday, August 4, 2012

Positive Feedback - August 1st

So being back at work and having a newborn at home prevented me from getting to last week's comics in a timely manner, but this week I managed to make it work, so I'm back with more "Positive Feedback."

Aside - I've chosen "Positive Feedback" as my title because that is my goal with these posts. There is enough negativity on the internet, especially on comic websites and forums, that I do not feel it necessary to add to. I'd rather talk about what I liked, and what has me excited. "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."

So, for the week of August 1st, 2012, I read 12 DC Comics, and 15 Marvel.

Favourite comic of the week - Peter Parker: Spider-Man 156.1 by Roger Stern and Roberto De La Torre

I had no idea what to expect when Marvel solicited these 50th Anniversary "Point One" and even "Point Two" issues, numbered to fit at the ends of previously cancelled Spidey titles.

If I expected anything, it was stories set in the past, that only really worked in the context of having read Peter Parker: Spider-Man 156, but a little research tells me no such comic existed. The two volumes of Peter Parker: Spider-Man were published at a final total of 155 issues - Volume 1 ran to issue 98, then volume 2 started with a new #1 and ran to issue 57. Next week's Sensational Spider-Man 33.1 works in the context of following Sensational Spider-Man volume 1, which ended with issue 33 in November 1998, but there was a 2nd volume that ran 40 issues. It's a very confusing numbering system.

That said, it didn't detract from my enjoyment of the issue. What I got wasn't at all what I expected. The story was set in the present, but written by one of the all-time great Spidey writers from the past, Roger Stern, and with beautiful artwork by Roberto De La Torre. A well-crafted done-in-one story, it ties Peter's origins to his present without simply re-telling the origin like has been done so many times before. Peter's character feels experienced, as so many little things from his past come together in his present, but he doesn't feel too old or too young, which is a fine line with his character that a lot of writers seem to struggle with. It's also a story that is perfect for Spider-Man. There is no real villain - just lives to save from drowning in a tunnel. Superman would do it in seconds and it would present no threat to him, but with Spider-Man, it's a life or death situation for both himself and the men he's trying to save.

Beyond Peter's character, Stern also did a great job writing the supporting cast. Norah Winters, a young character in terms of Spider-Man's 50 year history, was perfect in her brash attitude and thoughtlessness in her pursuit of a news story. And Joe "Robbie" Robertson, longtime Daily Bugle editor, had my favourite moment of the book, when he finds out Norah took Peter to the old Acme warehouse, and knows immediately that it's the same warehouse where the police cornered the burglar who killed Uncle Ben. He doesn't need to look into it. At this point in their lives, he's like family to Peter, which means he just knows.

I don't think it's a book for everyone, but it's definitely for me. I'm a life-long Spider-Man fan, and Stern's letter to the readers in the letters page reveals he is too. In 1966, as a teenager, he discovered Spider-Man with Amazing Spider-Man #40. He never imagined he would be writing Spider-Man one day, but reveals it is still, in his mind, the best job in the world. And I know the same is true of Dan Slott, the current Spidey writer. He was a fan first and foremost. I'm sure he never imagined he'd be writing the 50th Anniversary issue, or the 700th issue, of Amazing Spider-Man. But that's what makes Spidey stories by these men so great. They love the character as much as anyone else ever has.


Other great comics that came out this week, and thoughts on them -



Hawkeye #1 by Matt Fraction and David Aja - It seems like everyone enjoyed this book. I think David Aja's art really won it for me, although the story was fun, and really conveyed Clint's attitude and personality clearly.





Defenders #9 by Matt Fraction and Jamie McKelvie - another book by Fraction where the art won the book for me more than the story. As long as McKelvie's on this series, I'll stick with it. The other dimensional Nick Fury stuff was gold. I can't find if McKelvie sells his original artwork online anywhere, but after reading this issue, I looked.

World's Finest #4 by Paul Levitz, George Perez, Scott Koblish, and Kevin Maguire - Lots of people are talking about Earth 2, and it seems like this book gets overlooked. That is an absolute shame, because it's a fantastic comic. Perez is great on art as always. Maguire's sequences work great in contrast to it, complimenting it while still differentiating past from present. Karen's and Helena's characters are being handled nicely. They feel almost like new characters being built from scratch, as opposed to characters being re-established in a new universe like most of DC's other characters. And lastly, I loved the little in-joke where Power Girl gets hit with a missile that damages her costume - in the form of a big hole right in the upper chest area, just like with her old costume.



Earth 2 #4 by James Robinson and Nicola Scott and others - As I said above, lots of people are talking about this comic, but it really deserves it. This was my favourite issue yet, with the action really getting started. Something tells me Grundy isn't down for the count yet, and I can't wait to see if any other familiar characters show up to help stop him.






Daredevil #16 by Mark Waid and Chris Samnee - Another great issue. I loved the parallels between DD and Hank Pym. Never would have thought of that, myself. The ending was a nice twist, and I cannot wait for the next issue, with Mike Allred on art duties.






Avengers vs. X-Men #9 by lots of people - Best issue of AvX yet. Probably the Spider-fan in me saying that, but it was so good to see him single-handedly leading to the rescue of all of the captured Avengers, and the defeat of two of the Phoenix hosts. Can't wait to see what comes next. But one bit of negativity - hate the man-thong on the outside of Cyclops's costume.




Hardcovers & Graphic Novels -
New X-Men by Grant Morrison Omnibus (Second Printing) - The original release was years ago, and it sold out quickly, and my pre-order was actually cancelled because it couldn't be filled, so I was very excited when Marvel re-solicited it months ago, and my copy finally arrived yesterday. It's safe to say it owns the rest of my weekend. Morrison is one of my all time favourite comic book creators. After I read this, I'll probably be tempted to re-read his JLA run, his Batman run, and Final Crisis. And I'll enjoy every second of it.


In the Comic News this week -

Marvel posted some creative team reveal Marvel Now! teasers, and I'm more excited than ever for this initiative.
- "Invincible" by Kieron Gillen and Greg Land is most likely Iron Man. I love Gillen's writing, and he's worked with Land before on X-Men (I think). I was never really an Iron Man fan until Fraction's run, which I'm sad to see coming to an end, but Gillen could keep me on this book.
- "Worthy" by Jason Aaron and Esad Ribic is probably Thor. The Quesada cover for Marvel Now! Point One has him armored and carrying swords, as well as Mjolnir, so it looks like he's ready for war. If he is, this is the creative team I'd want to see telling that story. Can't wait.
- "Indestructible" by Mark Waid and Leinil Yu has been confirmed by Waid as Hulk. I'll read it because Waid is writing it. I loved his Flash. I loved his Captain America. I loved his Fantastic Four. I love his Daredevil. I've never been a Hulk fan, and I expect Waid to change my mind. I also found it funny that the writer of Irredeemable, Incorruptible, and Insufferable got "Indestructible" as a teaser. Should just name the book that.
- "Chimichangas" by Brian Posehn, Gerry Duggan, and Tony Moore is obviously Deadpool. I'm curious, which is more interest than most Deadpool stuff gets from me.
- "Legacy" by Simon Spurrier and Tan Eng Huat - I have no idea. I don't think I've read much of anything by either of them. I look forward to more info.
- "Family" by Matt Fraction and Mark Bagley - Fantastic Four, right? Awesome news if it is. Hickman's run is going to be tough to follow, but as everything Fraction's done in Invincible Iron Man comes back around in his final story, he's showing that he can tell the big, long-reaching story too. Or maybe he'll have a different approach. I'm ridiculously interested in seeing it either way.
- "Extended" by Matt Fraction and Mike Allred I'm not so sure about. I'm hoping for FF, because I've really been enjoying the adventures of these kids. Allred's art would be great for it and family-man Fraction could probably write some great young characters. But the presence of the letter "X" in any Marvel teaser always makes me wonder.
- And the last one, which I'm more excited for than any of the others - "Soldier" by Remender and Romita Jr., which Remender has confirmed as Captain America. Brubaker's Winter Soldier and Death of Captain America stuff was fantastic, but I haven't loved much of what came after Captain America Reborn. Liked, but not loved. I can't wait to see what Remender has in store, and Romita Jr. is like icing on a maple-bacon cupcake. They've already put everything I love together, and then they find a way to make it even better.

Also in the news, Preview art for Captain Marvel 3 by Kelly Sue DeConnick and Dexter Soy is up on Newsarama. I don't always check out preview art, but I was happy to look at this and see a much brighter color palette than we saw in the first issue. I think it fits the character much better.

DC execs have also said they plan to keep the New 52 model, by keeping the line at 52 series, meaning they'll cancel some and launch others periodically, instead of just launching new books and over-saturating the market. I like their current line-up for the most part, so I'm happy to see it stay at this size.


Lastly, my brilliant idea of the week.

Jonathan Hickman hasn't announced who any of the 18+ characters he's going to be using in Avengers or New Avengers are, but earlier this week I was wondering - with Bendis leaving, what's going to become of Luke Cage and Jessica Jones?

(Aside - If you're a comic-lover and don't check out Gutters every now and then, you probably should. I'm pretty sure if Luke Cage's song from yesterday's strip really existed, Brian Michael Bendis would have it as his ringtone. And be singing it constantly.)

My idea - relaunch The Pulse, or a Daily Bugle comic, and put Jones and Cage in there. Not only would it keep them from fading into obscurity, but it would also bring the other members of the Daily Bugle staff back into regular appearances. Now that Peter Parker doesn't work there anymore, we barely ever see Robbie, Ben Urich, Sally Floyd, Norah Winters, or Randy Roberston. Jessica Jones worked there before, in The Pulse, and Luke could probably provide color commentary as a consultant as he struggles to settle down and be a good husband and father, despite his desire to be a superhero instead.

Marvels was about a newspaperman. There's been a Daily Bugle mini before. The Pulse. Decimation: Generation M. Civil War: Front Line. World War Hulk: Front Line. Secret Invasion: Front Line. Siege: Embedded. It's not unprecedented to do a series about it. Marvel could even make a page on their own website, showcasing the fictional front page of the paper, and linking to the fictional articles. Or make that accessible through the Augmented Reality app, just to give the reader a little something extra. And if it was an ongoing, they wouldn't have to launch a tie-in mini with every major event.

No comments:

Post a Comment