Sunday, August 19, 2012

Positive Feedback - August 15th

We're on a better track this week for another installment of Positive Feedback, looking at comics that came out on August 15th, 2012.

Favourite Comic of the Week - Wonder Woman #12 by Brian Azzarello and Cliff Chiang


I'm usually a Marvel guy. I've probably made that pretty obvious in my prior reviews. But DC really knocked it out of the park this week.

Wonder Woman #12 won as my favourite book this week because so much happened in it. Action, drama, comedy, set-ups, and conclusions. Cliff Chiang's artwork was as fantastic as ever, and I love his re-designs of the Greek pantheon that is key to Wonder Woman's mythos. Apollo looks evil. Hermes looks like some kind of strange monster. They all have secret agendas. And Diana can kick all their butts.

I also liked Azzarello's other book this week, as mentioned below, but it's that kind of grim and gritty city crime stories I expect him to deliver on, based on his other work that I've read. I didn't expect his Wonder Woman to be this good, but it's turned into my favourite run on the character, and one of my favourite New 52 titles in general.

And how about that ending? Cannot wait to see that pay off. "BOOM."


Other good comics this week -

Amazing Spider-Man #691 by Dan Slott and Giuseppe Camuncoli - Another great conclusion to another great Spider-Man story by Dan Slott. The Lizard is re-defined. I loved the peaceful nature of the transformed Horizon team. I loved the introduction of Devil-Spider. And I look forward to next week for 692 - the 50th anniversary issue.

Avengers Academy #35 by Christos Gage and Andrea Di Vito - The second part of the Final Exam story amps it up into high gear. It's such a great cast of characters, and they're all getting great moments to shine. It's sweet, and it's sad. And I'm hoping it's not really the end for these characters, but I'm sure some of them won't come out of this story unscathed.

Before Watchmen: Rorschach #1 by Brian Azzarello and Lee Bermejo - Bermejo's artwork is so beautiful that I usually just look at and try to enjoy every page before I start actually reading the text. He certainly doesn't disappoint in this issue, and I hope he keeps up the same high quality throughout the series. Say what you will about the legal and moral debate - these are good comics, that really wouldn't have worked with other characters.

Captain Marvel #2 by Kelly Sue DeConnick and Dexter Soy - Everything I thought was missing from the first issue was delivered in this issue. Soy's artwork continues to impress, and I hope he has a bright future ahead of him. And Kelly Sue clearly gets Carol Danvers, and is doing a fantastic job of communicating her personality and motivation.

Daredevil #17 by Mark Waid and Mike Allred - If not for Wonder Woman, this would have been my favourite book this week. Allred's art is fantastic as always, and really works on Daredevil. I'd be very happy if they convince him to do more guest spots. Waid delivers great character moments and character developments again. And I love that optimistic ending - "I'm a winner. Just like my dad."

DC Universe Presents #12 by Fabian Nicieza and Jorge Jimenez - I've never noticed Jorge Jimenez's name in the credits on another comic, but I really liked his art in this book, and I almost always like Nicieza's writing. Although I liked the last DCU Presents story more, this one off story focused on Kid Flash was a lot of fun and looks like it may lead in to some cool Teen Titans stories down the road.

Green Lantern #12 by Geoff Johns, Renato Guedes, and Jim Calafiore - This is just good stuff, keeping Green Lantern interesting and fun to read. I'm genuinely curious where this is all going, and invested in what's going to happen to Hal and Sinestro. I could do without Hal dying again, but if it's written well, I won't be able to complain.

Red Hood and the Outlaws #12 by Scott Lobdell and Timothy Green II - I'll be honest; the only reason this book is on here is because of the cover by Kenneth Rocafort. Love a good-looking Star Wars parody.

Saga #6 by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples - Alternatively to the last title, this book is on here for all of the right reasons. Probably third on my list this week, I loved the art, I loved the story development, I loved the twists, and I loved the really freaking cool Rocketship.









Hardcovers & Graphic Novels -

Incredible Hulk Season One by Fred Van Lente and Julian Totino - Like most of the Season One books so far, this was a fun book to read. I've never read the early Hulk stuff, so I couldn't speak to how well it fits into continuity (I don't think very well), but I liked seeing women throw themselves at Bruce, and that it wasn't Rick Jones or the street kids shooting up, and the way Van Lente worked in the parental abuse and inner child aspect to Hulk and Bruce, even though that wasn't originally introduced until much later on. I wouldn't rate it up there with DC's Earth One graphic novels, and it isn't even my favourite of the Season One books so far (Daredevil and Ant-Man are), but it's definitely an enjoyable book.


Comic News from last week -

I didn't see much news this week, but there were three things I saw worth talking about.

Marvel confirmed Kelly Sue DeConnick and Stefano Caselli will be taking over Avengers Assemble with issue #9. I'm really excited that we're seeing a variety of fresh voices on the Avengers titles after so long with Bendis, even though I enjoyed all of his stuff. When you look back at everything since Avengers Disassembled, Marvel launched New Avengers twice, Mighty Avengers, Avengers volume 4, Dark Avengers, Secret Avengers, and Avengers Assemble all as ongoing series, and Bendis was the writer on all but one of those books at launch. I'm not saying it wasn't good stuff, but I'm looking forward to a few different fresh voices, and I love Caselli's art, so I'm excited for this. Also, Spider-Woman's in the teaser art. I like Spider-Woman.

Marvel also announced Kathryn Immonen and Valerio Schiti will take over Journey Into Mystery with issue #646. I'm a big fan of Immonen's writing, and encourage anyone who's looking for something fun to read to find her Patsy Walker: Hellcat series. Last time I was at FanExpo, I went up to the Immonen's booth and talked to Kathryn for 5 minutes or so about the Hellcat series, which was still coming out at the time, while lots of other convention-goers tried to get Stuart's attention and autograph. Immonen spoke to how Sif will be the lead character, and I like the ideas she has about the character.

Lastly, Joe Kubert passed away, and that's very sad. Most of his work was before my time, but I've loved what I've seen, and I have a lot of respect for him and his wife for running the Kubert School and training so many talented people. I've seen all of the various eulogies and obituaries that were posted, including the less tasteful one that DC retracted, but my favourite - the one I found most touching - was Neal Adams's, posted at the Gutters website here, along with a beautiful artistic tribute.


This week, I'm gonna end on that. I think it's more important than any ideas I could pitch at you.

No comments:

Post a Comment